Tuesday 24 September 2024

 

Clearing the past 

Whether you keep photos or keepsakes from the past is up to you. When I was going through the worst phases, I put them all away. Having them out of sight helped me cope with the different emotions that I was experiencing. Clearing your home of the past can be as important as clearing your life of the abuse.

If you decide to destroy any items linked with the past, think it through first. Remember that at the beginning you may feel very angry. In my case, except for a few photos, I put most of the things they had given me in the shed. They remained there while I decided what to do with them.

During my initial angry stage, I must admit to burning a few photos. For me, by burning the photos, I was cutting my tie with the past. As far as I was concerned this was a necessary step in my healing. You may not wish to take such drastic steps; however, for me, it felt right.

In time, you may come to a different decision about keeping old photos and possessions. Just remember to give yourself options.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  How to recognize an abusive personality In our world, there are all kinds of people and sadly, some of them operate as abusers. Having c...